Sunday, November 06, 2005

Size Matters?


Thanks to Sharon for sharing her nightmare story, a similar one to the two below it, about BOA's curious "largest charge first" policy...

"On August 30th, I was charged two overdraft fees of $31.00 each because of an error at a local store chain. I called the 1-800 number and was told the reason for two overdrafts is that they deduct the largest amount first and then the smallest.

Example: If I have $100.00 and use $40 that is covered (at the moment), but [later] if I go and use $105.00 ... what the bank will do instead of having one overdraft is take the $105.00 and say it was an overdraft (which it is) and then go back and say that the $40.00 is an overdraft also. They will not give you credit for the $40.00 which they could, but instead they want two overdraft fees and not one."

Exactly. Didn't know BOA were such size queens, but I guess they really believe bigger is better. Just wish the 'effects' went the other way, don't you?